Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Why I'm Interested In Khan-Algieri

New York will be hosting another interesting match up.


I know, I know. I've heard it all before. The Amir Khan-Chris Algieri fight is going to be boring. It's going to be high on skills and low on thrills. In short, no one's going to be interested.

Well, I'm here to say that I'm at least curious to see how this one turns out. There's several reasons for this. The first is that Khan is pretty much the only fighter out there right now who could even be considered as  having a chance against Floyd Mayweather. The only one. Believe it.

What's more, I think there may be more to Algieri than his one sided loss to a certain Filipino legend. Yeah, Manny went all Patton's Third Army on him, but now Algieri has John David Jackson in his corner. And Jackson's a formidable general in his own right.

Besides, I think Algieri has talent. Simply put, he went too far, too fast after the Provodnikov fight, which was controversial to begin with. The Long Islander appears to have emerged from his first loss smarter and more determined than ever, though, and I think he deserves another look from the fans.

Amir Khan certainly isn't writing Algieri off. Maybe that's because too many analysts have been writing Amir Khan off for too many years. Yeah, I feel Khan should have taken Kell Brook up on his offer to fight in England, but here he is angling for a superfight he deserves to be in the running for.

Both Khan and Algieri have a lot - a whole lot - riding on this one. They're both dedicated pro's with something to prove. This isn't going to be one of those instances where a fighter is going to show up over-weight for the weigh-in, that you can count on. These are serious fighters, who at the very least deserve to be taken seriously.

I aim to tune in.

No comments:

Post a Comment