Friday, January 8, 2016

Who's Next For Canelo?



Canelo Alvarez will be back in the ring on May 7th. Thing is, he doesn't have an opponent yet. Sure, he's (supposedly) set to fight Gennady Golovkin in the fall, but in the meantime he's set to step into the ring another time. Who, then, will Canelo fight this May? It's an interesting question, especially when one considers the fact that the fight will most likely be aired on Pay Per View.

The name Gabriel Rosado has been thrown around a bit. I've seen people gag at the thought of this match, but I don't think it's exactly a bad one. Sure, Rosado has lost his share of bouts. He's also taken a lot of punishment. The guy is always a live opponent, though, and he'd be guaranteed to bring his all into the ring if he were to get a chance of a lifetime.

Another name being mentioned is Willie Monroe, who we last saw being soundly beaten by Golovkin. I myself really like this potential matchup, because I think Monroe is underrated and could present Canelo with real trouble. A loss to Golovkin does not a fighter's potential ruin, after all. Monroe's a talented guy and he could show the world as much against Canelo, methinks. That doesn't mean I believe Monroe would win - I just think he'd put on a very good show.

Lastly, Billy Joe Saunder's camp is now indicating team Canelo is interested in a bout. Frankly, I'm not keen about this potential matchup. Indeed, I won't care much about anything Saunders does with his career, less he fights Golovkin. The guy, simply put, is too much business and too little sportsmanship. And just because he's open about it doesn't somehow make it okay.

Truth be told, I would be outright happy to see Canelo face Rosado or Monroe - just not on Pay Per View. Let's be honest here, this is Larry Holmes-Reynaldo Snipes stuff: worthy of our attention, but not worthy of a price tag. Why Canelo isn't fighting on HBO May 5th is beyond me at this point - actually, that's not true. I know it's all about the dollars.

But, honestly, that's ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment