Thursday, January 28, 2016

How Important Is It For A Boxer To Be Exciting?



There's been a lot of criticism out there against Floyd Mayweather which is perfectly legitimate. One thing I've always had a problem with, however, is the criticism that Floyd is/was boring in the ring. I have the same problem when the criticism is lobbed against Guillermo Rigondeaux - and even the legendary Willie Pep.

Look, I get it. Exciting fighters and exciting fights are more fun to watch. There's simply no two ways about it.  In fact, right now you're reading the words of a guy whose all time favorite fight is Hagler-Hearns. If that doesn't make me an action fan, I don't know what does.

Yet I can't deny the fact that boxing is a sport, first and foremost. And when it comes to sports, fighters must do what they have to in order to win. That's a Herculean task in and of itself. Therefore, I'm slow to point fingers and shake my head when a pro boxer does what works best over what's most exciting.  Would I prefer Pacquiao-Marquez IV to Pacquiao-Mayweather? Of course, Yet the bottom line remains that skills ultimately beat styles.

That's why it bothers me a bit to see all the excitement over the upcoming Frampton-Quigg bout. Sure, it will be fun, but these guys are cashing in by avoiding Rigo. Frankly, he seems better than both - yet I don't see either one jumping up and down to fight him. In fact, many would be happy if Rigo were simply ignored by more popular fighters for the rest of the career.

Fair enough - but the same people then look like hypocrites when they criticize fighters like Canelo for appearing gun shy with GGG.

No comments:

Post a Comment