Monday, June 1, 2015

Is Team Brook Serious About Facing Rios?

This may be worth pondering.


I know I'm in the minority here, but I think Brandon Rios could give Kell Brook some real problems. Watching both men's latest fights, I'm convinced that Rios' ability to grind on the inside might prove problematic for the man named "Special K." Plus, if Brook decides to hit while holding the back of Rios' head, like he did numerous times against Frankie Gavin last Saturday, I've little doubt he'll pay for it.

Make no mistake about it, Brook is a terrific fighter. In fact, I had been singing his praises for a while before he finally came to the states to face Shawn Porter last year. What's more, I'm not going to outright state I think Rios can take Brook. All I'm saying is that a Brook-Rios fight would be competitive. You can never be 100% on these things when it comes to boxing, but that's how I see it.

Thing is, I'm not sure these two are going to meet in the ring anytime soon. Team Brook has been talking a lot about it since the destruction of Frankie Gavin this past Saturday, but we've been down this road before. Brook called out Rios after the Jo Jo Dan fight, after all, but nothing came of it.

If you listen to team Rios, their man jumped at the opportunity to face the IBF welterweight champion, but the challenge ultimately proved to be a hollow one. Is that what's happening this time around, as well? Honestly, I don't see Rios or trainer Robert Garcia chasing after a carrot too many times. If Eddie Hearn wants this fight, he might want to be as proactive as possible.

And, if the man is to be believed, he's being just that. For, according to the British promoter, he's already made an offer to Top Rank Promotions, which handles Rios' affairs in such matters. Hearn reportedly says that offer has been refused, but that's nothing to get alarmed about, In fact, it's just a way to get the ball rolling.

In truth, I hope it keeps rolling. Unlike some, I'd like to see this one. Could it possibly end up being a no-win situation for Brook? Sure. Still, as the British Special Forces say, "who dares, wins."


No comments:

Post a Comment