Monday, December 24, 2012

Thoughts on Christmas


And so here we are...at THAT time of year. Christmas. Peace on earth. Good will to all. 

I like it.

As a Christian of the Roman Catholic variety I find this time of year particularly moving. Christ is my Savior, after all. His birthday is something truly worth celebrating to me and my ilk. The fact that Christmas is a federal holiday here in the U.S. means that those among us who are non-believers have reason to celebrate, as well. In other words, all except the most easily offended have cause to rejoice. 


Christmas, at its theological and historical essence, is a birthday party. And what is a birthday party? An act of thanksgiving, as far as I can tell. We're grateful that someone was born. A birthday celebration is, to my mind, the most simple, sincere, and basic form of gratitude. We're celebrating life, after all. And life is a good thing. Even in times such as these, when it often seems we exist in a state of perpetual night. 


In other words, we've got more to be happy about than just presents tomorrow. You know it. I know it, too. Yet it's the presents which steal the show for most all of us. That's actually understandable. Presents are FUN. They also come in cool wrapping, which gives them a sense of mystery. Sometimes we have to keep in mind, though, that Christmas presents aren't the greatest gifts in our lives. That's been said, oh, a TRILLION times before, but I myself am the sort of person who needs to hear it a trillion more times. Maybe you're like me in that regard. 

Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment