Monday, December 10, 2012

Here We Go Again

So, with a script on its way to Canada I've recently found myself left with the question of what to do next. Truth be told, it's a question that's on my mind a lot when I finish something major. I frequently find myself suffering from depression after I complete a large piece of writing and tend to flail about in the dark muck until a life vest in the form of a new idea or project is tossed my way.


To further complicate things, writing's a tough craft. I'm not talking about the selling of one's work, either. I'm talking the business of actually sitting down and writing something. Completing a script takes a lot out of you. It doesn't get easier with age, either. Years ago I was exhilarated when I finished penning a screenplay. Nowadays I feel like the guy in the picture above. Still, writers are supposed to write, damn it! I simply wasn't put on this earth to collect dust. 


So, with the desire to start a new project and the fatigue to prevent me from doing so, I decided to pray it over (some people mock prayer - I ain't one of those people). After a few days of teeth gnashing and thought it occurred to me that I should try to focus on something that really fascinates me, something I'm actually passionate about. Needless to say, I think I may have found an energizing subject matter. For years, lots of years, I've wanted to write a script that takes place during World War One. Now I think I've settled on the exact story to tell. It's quite a tale, a true tale actually, and one I won't be revealing at the moment, since filmdom is forever bereft of good ideas. 

Wish me well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment