Thursday, December 21, 2017

Why Danny Garcia-Brandon Rios Isn't a Bad Fight

This isn't a match to turn your back on.


I know, I know - Danny Garcia is being Danny Garcia again. Here's the thing, though - I don't think it's the case this time. Sure, Garcia has earned his reputation as an unambitious cherry picker (and judges favorite), but on this occasion, I'm going to cut the Philadelphia native some slack.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about here: Garcia is returning from a sound besting by Keith Thurman earlier this year to face to Brandon Rios in 2018. Yes, the same Brandon Rios who Pacquiao used as target practice and who seemed to forget to show up for his battle with Tim Bradley. But Rios is nothing if not a fighter. He's also been out of the spotlight for a while now and will most likely be hungry.

Let's also keep in mind that Garcia suffered his first defeat at the gloved hands of Thurman. In this day and age, where zeroes on a record have arguably replaced genuine achievement for fandom, that's a very, very big thing (though it obviously shouldn't be). Garcia will have also spent a long time out of the ring since the Thurman fight (I'm no Al Haymon hater but what's with his top guys being part time boxers?).

So no, I'm not going to fault Garcia for taking this match. And, if I'm being completely honest, I'm not even sure it's a gimme for the fighter known as Swift. A Rios victory, although an upset, wouldn't stun me. A Garcia win, though,  would do Garcia much good - that is, if he'd actually like to build on it. Attaining glory doesn't seem to be Garcia's big thing, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment