Friday, December 29, 2017

My Completely Left-Of-Center Top Ten List For 2017 - #3


I can't begin to tell you how tempting it is to place this next fighter's name on the top of the entire list. For here is a man the likes of which we've never seen, someone who literally appears to be bringing boxing to the next level. And yet this fighter has yet to accomplish what the two men above him on the list have. That day, however, might well be right around the corner. And that's why Vasyl Lomachenko sits at #3 on the list this year.

Did you catch that fight with Rigo earlier this month? I did - and was flabbergasted. Honestly, I knew it would be tough going for the Cuban, but I honestly believed Rigo, cool customer that he was, would somehow pull it off by frustrating his Ukrainian foil. Wow, was I mistaken. Loma made the man quit on his stool. On his stool! And, no, the size difference isn't an effective excuse. Unless, of  course, you believe Rigo would have somehow pulled off the win at a lower weight. Which, I don't.

Loma is the real thing. He's made opponent after opponent quit. Forgive me for not buying the argument that he hasn't beaten anyone of note "his own size", either. Or that the single loss to Salido - in Loma's second fight - show's the man is a hype job. That's like saying Gene Tunney wasn't a great heavyweight champ because he lost a lone bout to Harry Greb at light heavyweight. I know a lot of people think along those lines today, but, not to be mean, such thinking is ridiculous.

With all that in mind, Loma has convinced me that only a very special fighter can beat him. It's worth noting, however, that there are indeed special fighters out there right now, and that they may have a natural size advantage on the man. The future should prove interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment