Tuesday, December 26, 2017

My Completely Left-Of-Center Top Ten List For 2017 - #6



Chances are, you may not like my #6 pick for this list. In fact, you may well hate it. I've made it clear, however, that this list is indeed left-of-center, so here it goes. Remember the good times. My #6 spot for 2017 is filled by none other than Mr. Andre Ward. I know, I know. Everyone hates Ward. He's a diva who should have lost to Kovalev the first time around and who lost his second battle with the Krusher via a series of dastardly low blows. Here's the thing, though:

That's not the way I see it. At least not all of it. Sure, Ward can be accused of being a diva, but I'm puzzled why he gets more derision than, say, Adrien Broner and Tyson Fury combined. Seriously people, the man rarely acts like an asshole in public, appears to be a good family man and doesn't look to spend his time out of the ring raising hell. What, exactly, I sometimes ask myself, is the problem? Anyway, I'm sure those smarter than myself might be able to explain it all to me. Until then, however, Ward sits comfortably at #6.

Why? Well, because he came back and beat Kovalev in convincing fashion, AFTER fighting a total war with the guy a few months earlier. I've watched Ward-Kovalev II on several occasions and still aren't buying that he cheated like an all around dirty fighter. In my humble opinion, he beat his Russian counterpart up - and in grueling fashion, no less. And so, since I consider Kovalev FAR from a hype job, I feel that's a pretty impressive achievement. Plus, Ward retired afterwards  - so I can't call him out for being lazy.

Going from arguably the best fighter on the planet to undefeated retirement - that's something worth noting...at least I think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment