Monday, August 17, 2020

The Joys Of Self Publishing My Novels




 And so now my second novel, American Socialite, has been on the market for just over a month and is doing quite well for itself. I wasn't sure this would be the case. We're in the middle of a pandemic, after all, one that finds a lot of people out of work. What's more, these are tumultuous times. To make things all the more uncertain, I've never written anything like American Socialite before. My first novel, The Regulator, was set against the turmoil of Shay's Rebellion. American Socialite, on the other hand, is based on the true story of Napoleon's scandalous, strong willed American sister in law. Although both novels take place in the earlier days of the United States, they are nonetheless world's apart.

Needless to say, my worries proved to be unfounded. As of my writing this entry, American Socialite is tracking to sell better than The Regulator did- and The Regulator sold surprisingly well. Frankly, I have to give Amazon some credit here. I say Amazon specifically, because that was the entity I chose to publish my work through. There are other outlets for authors to use, of course. The main point is that self-publishing has proved to be quite rewarding for me. This is perhaps the biggest surprise of all. If you had asked me just two short years ago if I would be happy being a self published author, I'd have probably pushed out my chest and shaken my head. Now, though, I've seen the light.

Not only has self-publishing allowed me to see my work in print and on Kindle, it's given me incredible freedom. I get to decide when my work is ready to get out into the world. I get to decide how it will be presented to the market. I even get to decide what cover to use. Important and inspiring stuff. Although I wouldn't recommend anyone self publish until their work is as strong as possible, I would highly recommend self publishing for a person whose book is ready to go. 

The Regulator, my first novel, has an interesting history behind it. The right kind of people (meaning those on the inside of the publishing racket) liked it. Ultimately, though, no one wanted to put the money up to bring it out into the world. Having already known what it's like to get my writing published for money thanks to my short fiction and work as a boxing journalist, I ultimately decided to go it alone through Amazon publishing. I was hesitant, however. Would people really want to buy a self published work? Would they even take it seriously? In the end, would anyone actually want to read my book?

Apparently, people did.  What's more, I enjoyed the experience of self publishing so much, I never even attempted to have my new novel, American Socialite, get into the hands of a publisher. The novel launched in mid-July on Amazon, and I've been thoroughly pleased with the results. I've got my third novel already in mind and will start seriously working on it at the end of summer. Until the, I'll simply enjoy the success of American Socialite, and let people know that quite often, self publishing is indeed the way to go. 

*You can pick up American Socialite by clicking on the kink below:

https://www.amazon.com/American-Socialite-Sean-Crose/dp/B08C8RW7N4

No comments:

Post a Comment