Tuesday, August 25, 2020

My Hard Earned "American Socialite" Vacation Is Nearly Over



Gotta make sure there's still time for kayaking

After the initial rush that came with the launch of my novel American Socialite (marketing my book, gauging reactions, keeping an eye on sales), I decided to take the rest of the summer off. That didn't mean I was going to stop logging into work each day at Post University or cease writing articles for Boxing Insider. It simply meant that, rather than obsess over American Socialite's journey through the book selling process, I would instead swim, kayak, nap, eat, and drink. Needless to say, I've done all those things over the past several weeks, and have had a pretty damn good time doing them.  

With September right around the corner, though, I realize that it's almost time to get back in the figurative saddle. A new semester is about to start - that means a new term with new students. The weather's about to change, too. Going to Lake Quassapaug five days a week is about to be replaced by swimming laps at the YMCA. What's more, the sport of boxing is heating up after a long, COVID induced drought, and I've got to do some deep research on Edith Wharton for an article I'm working on for The Berkshire Edge. Perhaps most importantly, though, I've got to get back into gear as a novelist.

Don't get me wrong...I haven't been slacking. I just feel Hemingway may well have been right when he referred to creativity in terms of a well. I can be productive to the point I risk having  the well begin to drain and the quality of my work suffer. I only want to produce fiction when the PASSION is there, which means I sometimes have to force myself to take a break. Again, this isn't laziness - in fact, it's more like torture, for a writer is never more comfortable than when writing. Needless to say, I have the idea for my next novel all lined up. I just have to be sure there's enough water in my well for what promises to be a long, hard journey. 

And then, of course, there's the matter of American Socialite, a novel that's only been on the market for less than two months. It's already selling well, but like all authors, I want my work to sell better than it is. Which means I'm going to need to buckle down and prepare for the second round of salesmanship that awaits me in the very near future. With all this in mind, I suppose I better savor the remaining days of summer while they last - busy times are around the corner. 

To pick up your copy of American Socialite, just click on the link below. 

https://www.amazon.com/American-Socialite-Sean-Crose/dp/B08C8RW7N4

No comments:

Post a Comment