Sunday, June 5, 2016

Vargas And Salido Show Why Boxing Is Awesome

As an English professor in my other life I like to be somewhat academic, or at least mature in my word choice. In other words, I don't want to come across as a sophomoric fanboy on my blog. Sometimes, though, you just have to say screw it. And this is one of those times. Last night's Vargas-Salido fight showed why boxing is awesome. Period.

Balls. Balls, I tell you, are what these two fighters showed in the ring. Yeah, it was a draw, but I was okay with it. In fact, it was one of those rare instances, where I felt any decision could be justified. The last time I felt that was after the first Mayweather-Maidana fight. Yup, bouts that close are a rarity.

And seriously, how can you not admire these two fighters?Truth be told, Salido's  been such a dirty bastard, that I haven't much cared for him. Until, of course, last night. After last night I admire the hell out of him. Here's a guy who grew up poor, struggles to earn a living without having incredible talent (though he's more talented than some might think), and who BRINGS IT. Sure, he's got his short comings, but he's a true warrior, not ifs, ands or buts about it.

Huge props for Vargas, as well. He didn't shrink, not for a minute. from Salido's bravura assaults. In fact, he was frequently the attacker. Long story short, whatever they paid Vargas last night ain't enough. He deserves another home cooked meal at his mom's - so long as he's careful with the beef.

People look at me like I'm dressed in dated clothing when I tell them I'm a boxing writer. They just don't get it. Perhaps if they had tuned into HBO last night, they would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment