|The World's Greatest Cat Is Unflappable In Her Political Opinions|
Okay, I admit it, I'm a political junkie. What's more, I like being a political junkie. Stuff that in your hipster pipe and smoke it. I may not be in need of detox, like so many talking heads on cable, but I'm deeply interested with what our government is up to...and have been since I was young.
Most people aren't political junkies. That's fine. You don't have to be an addict in order to be a good citizen. You simply have to be informed. Still, being a political junkie really makes you aware of some fundamental truths. Sadly, however, most of those truths are pretty ugly.
Here's a few cold, hard facts I've learned about contemporary politics:
- Politicians Think You're Pretty Stupid. Ask yourself why elected officials regularly accuse people who aren't extreme of being extremists.
- Your Average Media Figure Has The Maturity Of A High School Junior. Ask yourself why favorable news coverage is generally given to the same people and causes that celebrities support on Twitter.
- Being A Politician Is No Walk In The Park. Ask yourself if you'd like to be insulted by aggrieved seniors every time you stepped into a supermarket.
- Most Politicians Aren't Evil. Ask yourself if the vast majority of our elected officials really have no concern for the common good.
- Politicians Tend To Be Weak. Ask yourself why so many elected officials conveniently evolve on the issues.
- We Really Need Congressional Term Limits. Ask yourself how much better off America would be if our leaders could actually stick to their beliefs.
- Politicians and Media Types Love Power Words And Catch Phrases. Do we really need to have a comprehensive, balanced, national conversation about this?